UNILAG Dares JAMB, Set To Screen Candidates Despite List Withdrawal

0
UNILAG Dares JAMB

UNILAG Dares JAMB To Commence Admission Process For Candidates Today, August 3rd, Despite List Withdrawal By JAMB

The University of Lagos has stated that it will go ahead with the screening of prospective candidates for admission into the 2016/2017 academic session as scheduled, despite the list withdrawal by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).

UNILAG Dares JAMB, Set To Screen Candidates Despite List Withdrawal

UNILAG Dares JAMB

The varsity’s decision to continue came barely a day after JAMB withdrew the list of recommended candidates for 2016 admission, it earlier sent to all tertiary institutions in the country.

JAMB had through its spokesman, Fabian Benjamin, said:

“This is to ensure that the University Senate perform its statutory responsibility of conducting the selection of candidates and refer it to JAMB for confirmation in line with the admission criteria of merit, catchment and educationally disadvantaged states as directed by the Hon Minister of Education at the policy committee meeting.”

“The earlier list was sent to help fast track the process of admission so as to allow other tiers of institutions also conduct their admission.

“Candidates should not panic because this is part of the process of the 2016 admission exercise. JAMB regrets any inconvenience this decision would have caused the tertiary institutions

“The Board regrets any inconvenience it’s proactive step would have caused the tertiary institutions.”

Also, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), previously reported that UNILAG had announced that it would begin screening candidates, who selected the institution as their first choice with a cut-off point of 200 and above, as from Wednesday August 3 – 24, 2016.

READ MORE>>>  28 Europe Bound Migrants Dead Off Libya

In an interview with NAN, UNILAG’s deputy registrar, (information), Toyin Adebule, said.

“We want to inform the public that our screening, for candidates that will be admitted for the 2016/17 academic session, will still hold scheduled from August 3, 2016 to August 24, 2016.”

“It is true that JAMB had sent a list to us, which it had considered as those who met our cut-off point.

“It is this same list that it had withdrawn to allow the universities carry out their admission process as required by the law setting up their senates.

“There are statutory functions meant for all university senates, among which admissions is part one.

“It is only after selecting the candidates for admission that the senate refers the list to JAMB for confirmation in line with the admission criteria of merit, catchment and educationally disadvantaged states.

“And so, it is only proper for JAMB to have taken this step, realising that it had taken over the job of the universities’ senates.’’

He maintained that the withdrawal of the list did not interfere with UNILAG’s proposed plan to screen its candidates but inferred that applicants would be screened based on the authenticity of their results and their course combinations.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

comments

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY